Huewww! It has been so hot hot hot in New York. There is no way you feel like eating anything hot so I have been mixing up some grainy salads a lot lately. This one seems like a no brainer: Greek Salad + Rice - but its the black rice that makes it special.
Black Rice Greek Salad
1 cup black rice (cook to instructions)
halved cherry tomatoes
feta cheese (I used goat's feta)
vinaigrette (1 lemon, 2-3 tablespoons good olive oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar)
season: salt and pepper
(picture of rice coming soon, camera cord connecter is mia :(
In other news:
1. All across the country concerned people are holding eat-ins to petition what children are being fed for school lunches as well as send a message to Congress that goes something like this: "We are not happy about the American food industry, so do something about it already." Check out an Eat-In in you hood
2. I am proudly spreading the word on Roofop Farms and rocking publicity it is getting, from Edible Brooklyn to BBC.
3. Here are some good resources for some grass-fed meat and some restaurants in NYC that use clean and nutrituous products and produce.
Heritage Food USA
Knickerbocker Meats Inc
Roberta's and the Bees they keep
Franny's and their Larder
4. Check ou this aMAZing new project: Brooklyn Farmyards and the video
5. Lastly, in case you missed all there salad recipes in the NYTimes I thought I would send you them again, in case your summer recipes inspiration in waning.