Sunday 1 August 2010

Lemon and Mint Thirst Quencher - بولو


It is getting hot hot hot over here in Syria and there are not many things which can cool me down. My flat feels like a green house and I am on an endless search for cool drinks and cool places. I am hoping I can persuade J to post her ice latte tips....

Polo (pronounced bolo) manages to be tasty, tart and terrifically thirst quenching all at once. I love that you can buy it from a street corner or a smart restaurant and there is never any doubt what you will get - a green flecked drink which feels like a welcome oasis.

I have had endless horrified looks from the juice makers when I ask for no sugar - I really like the tart-factor although there are some days when I wish they had come across agave!

There is lots of room for creativity here - do you like your drinks a little sweeter? Add some honey or agave. Hoping for an icy blast? Blend some ice cubes up with your juice. Not a huge fan of mint? Just enjoy lemon sunshine in your glass. Add as much water to suit your taste buds...leave it in the fridge for extra chilliness or drink swiftly if you are in danger of over heating!

Makes 2 glasses

Health warning: You might get addicted

Ingredients:

8 lemons

One big handful of fresh mint

500ml cool water


Halve the lemons and squeeze the juice out of them using a juicer. Pour lemon juice and mint leaves into a blender and blitz until smooth. Add ice to make a smoothie consistency or dilute with water. Blend.

If you don't have a blender, juice the lemons and mix with water. Add the mint leaves whole and let the juice stew for a while in the sunshine. I like to roughly chop them but the blender gives a smoother drink.

Garnish with whole mint leaves. Best drank in some shade. Enjoy!

Syrian recipes coming soon!

Salaam,

Charlotte xx






1 comment:

  1. Sampled last night: yum! I think I needed better honey in it, though. Experimented with more cocktail approach and a small amount of rum or gin is also v good! (I shouldn't sully the blog...I know, sorry!)

    As per Charlotte's instruction, Jacqui, try this one too which is delicious:

    2 or 3 grapefruits according to your taste
    1 lemon
    1 lime

    Squeeze the fruit and dissolve 100g sugar in 500ml water. Mix in a jug, top up with water, and leave in the fridge overnight. Serve with some slices of lemon and lime. Delicious!

    Bisoux,
    Choe

    ReplyDelete