Wednesday 4 March 2009

Charlotte on Jacqueline



Juice-drinking
Atlas-reading
Cake-making
Quinoa-eating
Ubuntu-thinking
Instant-loving




I just could not get the words New York in there! You know what they say…you can take the girl out of the city but you can’t take the city out of the girl - Jacqui manages to spread her love for-all-that-is-New-York to everyone she meets. How on earth have I heard of Century 21, Magnolia bakery and Williamsburg? I am so pleased she managed to leave home for 4 years and fly across the pond; St Andrews would not be the same without her and neither would I.

What have I learnt from Jacqui? How to walk in high heels (ok, I am still learning this one), how to use less butter in cooking (the food still tastes good), how to say agave (a-gavay), how to be brave and meet new people (she has made me hug strangers in the street), that a smile is infectious, that laughter is the best remedy, that I am not allergic to peanut butter, to just breathe

A few of the best: Eating papayas with lime on plastic Tupperware lids in Lusaka with borrowed spoons and napkins… or maybe…finding a hidden birthday letter in my rucksack…or maybe…making s’mores for the children we taught in Zambia and seeing their faces light up as they tasted marshmallows…or maybe…going to the Ocean Basket restaurant and twice ordering a salad meant for four people and finishing it….






Charlotte



1 comment:

  1. What does ubuntu mean?! I am sure it is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete